Friday, October 2, 2009

sunday dinner redux - love on a plate with a twist 5 - greek-inspired stuffed potatoes

Inspired by traditional Greek flavors, I created these stuffed potatoes just for something new and different.
If you haven't yet tried Greek yogurt - do! Typically made of sheep's milk (but cow's milk varieties exist also) it has a wonderful texture and flavor, and is often slightly higher in protein. The same goes for Kasseri cheese; if you absolutely can't find it in your local stores, then Parmesan will make an acceptable substitute. But do try to find the Kasseri; this is the cheese used in the famous Greek dish saganaki and is also a sheep's milk-based product. It has a pungent aroma and is absolutely delicious.

For two LARGE russet potatoes, bake at 450 degrees fahrenheit (232 celsius) for about an hour or until sides can be squeezed. Twenty minutes before the potatoes are done baking, place one large clove of unpeeled garlic in a small baking dish (like a custard cup or even a small foil pan). Add a small amount of water, cover tightly, and place in the oven to bake along with the potatoes. At the end of the potatoes' baking time, also remove the baked garlic clove from the oven and set aside to cool.

In the meantime, scoop out the insides of the potatoes into a bowl; mash them a bit and squeeze out the soft baked garlic clove from its peel; discard the peel. Mash the garlic in with the potato and add:

1 tablespoon butter

3 teaspoons plain Greek yogurt

3 teaspoons crumbled Feta cheese

4 teaspoons grated Kasseri cheese

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (or fresh oregano, even better!)

salt and pepper to taste (taste carefully first - the Feta and Kasseri cheeses are salty)

Combine all ingredients and spoon back into the baked potato shells. Top with more grated Kasseri cheese, place back in oven for 15 minutes or so until cheese topping is melted. You may also broil for a moment to brown the cheese topping even more.

These potatoes are delicious with roast lamb or chicken, and also make a hearty vegetarian main dish.

Serves 2.

9 comments:

Pixie's Purpose said...

Sounds wonderful. My husband had an Aunt who used to make all kinds of Greek dishes and my husband absolutely loved them. I'll have to try this some time.

Lonesome Road Studio said...

My boss is part Greek and has all sorts of fabulous traditional recipes also.
I tried to make saganaki once but it didn't work out so well, LOL!

MAB from OtterCatHaus said...

Um, can I stop over some time when you're making these? I'll bring wine.

BaldyLocks said...

My mouth is watering now! Ohhhh, those look good! There isn't much I love more than potatoes, thanks for the awesome post :)

WallCandy

Peldyn said...

I am hungry and this made me even hungrier!

Doris Sturm said...

Yum, that recipe sounds delicious! I'd be happy with one of those and a big green salad - I love yogurt too. Recently started making my own with my electric yogurt maker. Can't recall having the Greek yogurt made with goat milk, but it doesn't sound very appealing to me because I don't have very fond memories of goat milk.

Have a great weekend :-)
Doris

Bead Up said...

I am Greek and I must say, I have never thought to make a Greek baked potato! But I'll put feta and olives on anything - so bring it on!

Erica said...

wow... yummy!

goodkarma said...

this sounds excellent. i'm saving this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails