Following package directions, prepare couscous to equal two cups when finished. RiceSelect directions are: bring one cup of water to boil (you can also use broth) and add one cup of dry couscous. Remove from heat, cover with lid and wait for five minutes. Fluff with a fork.
For my Mediterranean-Inspired Couscous, add the following ingredients to your two cups of prepared couscous:
- One 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- One 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained (or fresh if your garden is overflowing with tomato goodness!)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (we grew Greek oregano this year and it's what I used for this recipe)
- Juice of one large lemon
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (olive or safflower are good)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
And that's all folks! Combine all ingredients thoroughly and allow time to chill in the refrigerator. This makes a terrific vegetarian/vegan dish, but if you like, a bit of chicken, grilled tuna or feta cheese could be added; add lemon zest if you like even more lemony flavor; or try with green onions instead of the sweeter red onions.