- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons COLD butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk (up to 1 cup, as needed)
- 1 tablespoon light vegetable oil (I often use safflower)
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Place cut biscuits on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.
When done, the shortcakes will have nice lightly browned tops and will be a beautiful golden color. Allow to cool, then serve with the sugared berries and top with homemade whipped cream. Delicious!