Friday, April 9, 2010

here, piggy piggy!

Smoky, Spicy and Easy
No-Ketchup Barbecue Sauce
As someone who is not a fan of ketchup, I always love to find a good barbecue sauce that doesn't start out with the hated condiment as the first ingredient. I came across this recipe in a cookbook by the Baron of Barbecue, Paul Kirk, and knew that I'd love this recipe since it was created by one of Kirk's students who also disliked ketchup.
This is a peppery-spicy and tangy-sweet sauce, with a beautiful rich color. It also tastes like you slaved over it for hours when in fact it cooks up in about 20 minutes. It's perfect for chicken and pork, and makes a terrific dipping sauce for all kinds of deep-fried snacks. The recipe below is the version with my tweaks - grab some charcoal and a beverage, and enjoy!
ingredients:
  • one 15 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste (a whole tablespoon gives this sauce quite a bit of heat)
  • 1 teaspoon hickory Liquid Smoke
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard (like Colman's)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Makes about 3 cups of sauce.

3 comments:

Plantress said...

yum perfect post for team bacon. Thanks for commenting on the pita uterus. good to know I am not alone in my weird sense of humor!
Plantress

Peasblog said...

beautiful blog!! I got my award info thank you I will get it up asap!! YAY!

Lonesome Road Studio said...

thanks so much!
I will return on Monday, and yes, Plantress, I have a weird sense of humor too, LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails