Sunday, April 11, 2010

april 12th is grilled cheese sandwich day!

Actually, April is
National Grilled Cheese Sandwich MONTH...

so treat yourself to some hot, buttery, gooey goodness every single day!

A toasty, melty grilled cheese sandwich hot off the stove is one of life's pleasures. Purists say that the sandwich must be American cheese on white bread, but I really think there's room for discussion on this topic. For example, a new guilty pleasure of mine is a combination of the sharpest Cheddar cheese between two pieces of Target's apple fritter bread. Imagine an old-fashioned fried McDonald's apple pie with Cheddar; yes, it's like that.

While not technically all-cheese, another favorite of mine is a good old-fashioned pimiento cheese sandwich. A recipe board friend had a hankering for these insidious creations one day and it was downhill from there. Her obsession became my obsession and for a while we were consuming them at an alarming rate. Pimiento cheese seems to be a southern U.S. thing and is really quite simple to make: cream cheese plus shredded cheddar cheese (a taste of other cheeses never hurts either) plus a bit of mayo to combine it, and of course.... pimientos. Maybe a little onion, season to taste.

Grilled cheese sandwiches, while innocent-looking, spark intense debate in my house. The spousal unit insists that grilled cheese sandwiches must be eaten with chicken noodle soup. And I say that the classic combination is grilled cheese paired with tomato soup. Seriously, the cheese-tomato connection is perfection, much like a cheese quesadilla with salsa. It's simply the right thing to do. Because I said so.

Differences aside, be sure to enjoy at least one grilled cheese sandwich soon, if not on the celebrated creation's Day of Honor, then whenever you want a little delicious comfort on a plate. With tomato soup.

Read more from Lonesome Road Studio, now on The Six Degrees of Etsy Bacon blog!

7 comments:

Athena's Armoury said...

My man will love this! A good grilled cheese is comfort food that he will down in an instant.

I'm with you: tomato soup is the perfect complement.

Anonymous said...

Heck yes! I LOVE grilled cheese especially with tomato soup! What a great idea for a holiday - grilled cheese day!

Lonesome Road Studio said...

Yay, two votes for tomato soup, LOL!

goodkarma said...

grilled cheese with chicken noodle soup? what planet is he from?? tomato soup all the way.

my fave grilled cheese: mozzarella and marble-jack and garlic on sourdough french bread. oh yes.

Plantress said...

I am so glad that you blogged about this. I can't wait to tell my friend sadie that this month is GRILLED CHEESE MONTH

K said...

Best thing I've read all day! My husband is a grilled cheese w/ tomato soup - but I'm more of a grilled cheese WITH tomato sandwich gal!

Lonesome Road Studio said...

I need to try the mozz/jack combo. Probably good with some basil thrown in too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails