- 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, diced - white part and 1 inch of green
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 5 or 6 medium potatoes (about 3 cups), peeled and diced
- 1 bunch spinach, torn (about 2 or 3 handfuls)
In a large saucepan, saute onion, leeks and celery in olive oil over medium-low heat until wilted and not browned, about 15 minutes. Add tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper and combine well. Add broth and potatoes. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Add spinach and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove soup from heat. Puree soup in small batches in a blender or food processor. Return soup to pan and place over low heat to continue heating.
If you like, 1/2 cup of milk can be added to the soup. Also, taste for seasonings. Garnish with a swirl of plain yogurt, sprigs of fresh herbs, or pretty chive blossoms.
Serves 4 to 6.