Tuesday, November 3, 2009

lucinda williams in concert at chicago's park west

What an opportunity! On October 14th I saw Lucinda Williams live in concert at the Park West in Chicago. All the elements were there for a great night: one of my favorite performers plus a fantastic, intimate venue... it was a fabulous evening! This show was the second in a three night series covering three different eras of Lucinda's music; "Sweet Old World" (1992), "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road (1998), and "Essence" (2001) were featured in this set, with bits of other albums (and some of Lucinda's own eclectic favorites) mixed in.

Park West is located in the area of Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, and I can say that I had never been to a venue quite like this. Hubby and I were in the front in the "dance" section... mere feet away from the stage. Like five or six feet.

(Sorry that I haven't posted actual photos of the concert... I overhead a cocktail waitress tell someone that Park West was unappreciative of flashes on cameras and I became a bit paranoid. I did take a little film footage, but nothing to get excited about. So, you get a photo of my t-shirt with lyrics from one of my favorite Lucinda Williams songs, "Joy" from "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road.")

The first thing that struck me as she walked onstage in her low-key way, was how petite Lucinda Williams is. Her overall stage presence is at once powerful but subdued and reserved, almost shy and humble. Dressed in slim black pants tucked into some rockin' black leather boots, with a pink and black leopard print bustier peeking out from her short black jacket, she looked as gorgeous as her voice sounded. The venue and show format was ballad-friendly and she seemed pleased to perform songs that aren't typically part of the show set at larger venues. But when she rocked, she rocked! Lucinda is touring with the band Buick 6, and they were powerful, riveting and funky!

Hearing all of my favorite Lucinda Williams music performed was incredible enough, but to hear her perform Jimi Hendrix's "Sweet Angel" accompanied only by her guitar was also amazing. To my husband's "joy" and hilarity, the show ended with what Lucinda called one of her favorite rock songs: ACDC's "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock n' Roll). The hilarity lies in the painful fact that one of my favorite performers was covering a song by a band that is in my top ten most-hated bands of all time, LOL. Irony is such a weird thing sometimes. *shakes head.*

8 comments:

goodkarma said...

that sounds like an awesome show! i love "Joy" as well, but i was intrigued by the hendrix cover (it being one of my favorite tunes of his), so i ran to youtube to see what i could find. and i found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2zu3JFLgKc lovely!

Wear Your Wild said...

Sounds like an incredible show! I love Lucinda Williams.

MAB from OtterCatHaus said...

Hey, how cool! Even cooler with the AC/DC cover! :)

Lonesome Road Studio said...

I think that seeing Lucinda perform "Lake Charles" was probably most meaningful for me... my father spent a lot of time in the area during his childhood. It brought a couple of tears to my eyes, let me tell ya.
She brings out a lot of emotions.

Moon to Moon said...

Hey, cheers for your comment. You should defiantly make some more :) REally loved that one.

Not heard of Lucinda Williams but anyone who plays a bit of Hendrix sounds good to me. Will look her up.

Cheers

:)

Lonesome Road Studio said...

Thanks Little Lotus!

Doris Sturm said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I love concerts too. The last one I saw was Bonnie Raitt when I lived in California. I was pretty excited too.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I hope you're doing well.

Kind Regards,
Doris

Nishant said...

, how cool! Even cooler with the AC/DC cover! :)

Work from home India

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails